Murray will present the Max Murray Oration at the 2019 ACAA Conference Dinner.
Murray is professionally qualified in the areas of Health Planning and Management, Corporate Governance and Finance. From a background in health services management he was a founding member of the ACAA and member of the Executive for 6 years. He has been consulting in the area of disability access in the built environment for the past 31 years.
Some of his achievements have been:
- Chairman of the Australian Standards Technical Committees on Access, ME/64 for 23 years and member for 34 years.
- Murray represented Australia on the ISO Standards Committees developing International Standards on Access for 23 years.
- As a result of an overseas study scholarship he was instrumental in the development of the Australian Standard on Tactile ground surface indicators for people who are blind or have a vision impairment.
- He has worked internationally in Dubai, Japan, USA, Canada, UK, Austria, Singapore & Hong Kong. Contracts ranged from the proposed world’s tallest building, The Nahkeel Tall Tower – 1.2 km in height through to other major projects, such as the New Royal Adelaide Hospital $2.3B and setting up the National Disability Insurance Agency trial sites & head office facilities in Geelong from 2012 to 2016. His other speciality is the audit and design of thousands of toilet facilities.
- Murray has been a member of the review panel for the Disability Standards Projects Committee developing the DDA Standard for Access to Premises, and been on the Jury for the Royal Australian Institute of Architects, for the awarding of the Architecture Awards for Access.
- On numerous occasions Murray has acted as an “Expert witness” in Court Hearings and Arbitration cases.
- For 30 years he has enjoyed interaction with many areas of the Access Industry carrying out training sessions throughout Australia on behalf of Standards Australia for all new Access Standards and also had the opportunity of presenting a wide range of papers and presentations at National and International Conferences.